Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)


Powered By

Site Design By:
Blogs Gone Wild!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 28, 2008

Old School Music Friday


How can you talk about Black Cinema music and not talk about Curtis Mayfield? It's impossible really, they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

My selection this week is a song from "Superfly", one of my favorite films from the "blackexploitation era" (a term that I am not really big on). I love looking at 70's archives, the fros, the clothes; it's all very interesting to me.

Erykah Badu just used this sample for her song "Master Teacher" from her new CD "Amerykah", which is my favorite cut on that joint by far. All hail the Mayfield....




For a completely different and unusual take on this song, check out black punk(?) band Fishbone's version. I used to see these dudes around LA...they were good guys, but they really let it go it their shows, that's for sure....and that's not a bad thing:

11 comments:

HeyShae! said...

Curtis Mayfield was the soundtrack man back in the day wasn't he? Shoot, I need Curt to hook me up with a theme song. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Curtis was a genius. I was watching Erykah on VH1 Soul last night and heard Master Teacher. Her whole vibe reminds me of Curtis. I have to download her today.

Hail Fishbone. I wish they'd get back together.

Anonymous said...

I miss Curtis to this day. My nephew loved the Superfly soundtrack when he was 3 years old. He's 10 now and still does.

Unknown said...

Happy OSF! I just returned from visiting New Jersey to give a keynote at an awards banquet. One of the sisters working the door is named Goldie. It reminded me immediately of The Mack, however, she didn't know what I was talking about. (sigh). Memories of Curtis Mayfield make me wonder if I'm truly gettin' old...

I focused on Oscar Brown, Jr. for my OSF meme this week.

peace, Villager

Lisa R Charles said...

Curtis is the Man. I listen to him to this day.
Happy OSF!!

Unknown said...

He was the soundtrack king back in the day! Good choice!
Happy OSF!

Marvalus said...

Ooh, Curtis Mayfield! So deep, so cool, soo smooth!

Invisible Woman said...

Love love LOVE you guys coming by....even more than I love OSF!

michael a. gonzales said...

...another great movie and soundtrack. i was at a lenny kravitz show a few years ago, and they were playing vintage curtis to warm-up the crowd. "Hey," I said to my friend, "what do you suppose the younger fans think when the hear curtis mayfield?"
"what?"
"they're thinking--who is that guy ripping off lenny!"

Anonymous said...

I love Curtis, great pick. I didn't notice your post until now, sorry for the late response.

I can't tell you my favorite Curtis song, because I may be using it later.

Great choice! Where is Fishbone, now!

Invisible Woman said...

@MG: That is hilarious! (and probably true)

@MGV: you betta back offa my territory! lol

Let me guess--it's Sparkle!

Fishbone broke up---lord only knows where most of them are...