Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)


Powered By

Site Design By:
Blogs Gone Wild!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Random Movie News--Comix Edition

Bear in mind I know almost nothing about comics, and don't really care that much to find out, to be honest. But I know that lots of you out there love them, so here we go...

From beyondhollywood.com:

'Here’s [a] look at Samuel L. Jackson as The Octopus, the main villain in Frank Miller’s upcoming live-action adaptation of Will Eisner’s “The Spirit” comic books. This is not actually our first look at him, but it is our first look at him in costume, if you will, although I’m not sure if a mink coat and gloves qualifies as a “costume”, but there you have it.'

From IW: Hmmm. Anyway, there is this comic book that I've been seeing in a lot of places for free around Hollywood called "Mercy Man". I picked it up, and it turns out to be promotional material about some Latino undercover cop that they are making into a movie. It is being touted as the "first Hispanic hero to root for". I dunno so much about that, but I do know Andre Royo from "The Wire" is in it, so it might be worth a look.






What happened to Common as The Green Lantern? Maybe someone finally woke up and said "Hey guys! Listen up--ummm...I think this might not be such a great idea."


It could happen. Here is what Common has to say about folks critical about rappers taking roles away from "real actors":

‘I’m not a hip-hop dude who wants to act. I’m an artist,’ Common [said], adding that he has his eyes set on an Oscar Award. ‘The Oscar seems very prestigious,’ Common said. ‘With all due respect to the Grammys, there are more music categories and it’s easier to get a ticket to the show. Also if you look at it as someone coming from Chicago, there are only so many black artists who receive Oscars.’

From IW: An Oscar, eh? Umm, yeah...good luck with that...

11 comments:

Qadree said...

I read an article a while back that said the Justice League film with Common was put on hold indefinitely, but he supposed to be in Terminator 4 from what I've heard.

Marvalus said...

I love Common, but ummm...no.

Lenoxave said...

Love you Rasheed but you need to shut your yap about "Oscars."

Anonymous said...

I think Wesley Snipes may be better as John Stewart, the black GL - but Common has a certain kick and now poor Wes is in the pokey for 36 moons we has no choices, eh?

IW, there are a heap of BLACK superheroes out there - Marvel's Black Panther, Storm as played by Halle Berry,Luke Cage; Cyborg & Black Lightning of DC; Fro-Zone from the Incredibles; Zuda Comics has a whole host...

There are two books from John Ridley which were made animated and Li'l Kim is the voice for Soledad, a cop who tracks down meta-humans...

The kicker is she may've killed a bona fide angel from Heaven? The 1st book is called "Those Who Walk In Darkness"

The Obenson Report said...

I'll win an Oscar before Common ever does... even if I never make another film ;o) What happened to the Luke Cage film John Singleton was supposed to be making, with Tyrese starring?

LostGirl#1 said...

Is Common for real ? Wow...

Invisible Woman said...

@qadree: well I guess somebody really did wake up and think it was a bad idea...

@Ms. M and Danielle: I think Common might be starting starting to live in that Hollywood bubble...

@Ian: I actually know about the Black superheroes...just not into it, don't know why. Did not know about Lil' Kim tho...interesting...can she read?

@obenson: you are funny :-) Half of the things I hear about Singleton doing never see the light of day.

@miss pinky: *sigh* I'm afraid so...

tamara s brown said...

Oh Sam Jackson gets to be in ALL the cool movies! I mean, damn! Star Wars, Ironman (soon), now this feature. SMH. When he popped up at the end of Ironman, I was like, "What's Mace Windu doing all up in here?" LOL. Lucky bastid :)

Andre Royo I first 'noticed' (and this ain't sayin' much) in the feature G (again, it ain't sayin' much at all). LOL. I loved him then. I look forward to more.

Common...I'm not too sure I understand much of what he was talking about. The Oscar 'seems' very prestigious...errr, it actually IS or it 'used' to be...

Anonymous said...

Shut up, Common.

Anonymous said...

Ooops

Invisible Woman said...

@madame Z: I know Sam--let somebody else get some roles!

I saw "G" too...boo :-( A remake of The Great Gatsby? Whatev!

@tba: You REALLY want that boy to be quiet, huh? lol Can't say that I blame you after that comment he made...