Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)


Powered By

Site Design By:
Blogs Gone Wild!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A More Than Guilty Pleasure...


Alrighty...I was tagged (challenged) by my blog sis Issa Rae after I gave her a hard time about revealing her guilty pleasure; Damon Wayans' "Blankman", which surely made me give her the serious telephoto side-eye (to read her post, click HERE).

Forgive me Lord for I have sinned; I actually enjoyed "Norbit". *ducks as tomatoes are thrown*

What can I say? First off, how can you not laugh at a character named "Rasputia"? That is comedy. Every time she got into that tiny MG Midget car and her boobs made the horn blow I laughed. Yes, I realize that's sad, but I still think it's funny.

I kinda like it when Eddie plays a nerd. I happen to think his public persona is one of the most arrogant on earth, and it is very off-putting, but I also think it is to hide the real nerd underneath, that he plays so well in this and "Bowfinger" (another movie of his I happened to really enjoy). I also absolutely adore Thandie Newton.

This film was directed by Brian Robbins, who is responsible for 99% of Eddie Murphy's bombs...I still think Brian has a picture of Eddie and Johnny Gill in a compromising position--why on earth else would Eddie still work with him? But this is the one I don't mind, and would watch again--let the mudslinging on Invisible Woman begin. Issa Rae, I hope you're happy!

Here is a scene of Rasputia and Norbit in the car, and I laughed again while watching it...so sue me...haha!

18 comments:

Issa Rae said...

LMFAO! OMG, when I was in Senegal I was constantly complaining about how they play the WORST American movies out there. EVERYBODY out there LOVES Norbit! I was sooo irritated by how much my friends and family found that movie hilarious and kept trying to press it on me. "How you could you not think Norbit is funny?"

It was then that I realized where Eddie Murphy's audience has gravitated to. Hahahahaha, you AND Max both like SUCKY Eddie Murphy films. Nah nah nahnahnah :-P

clnmike said...

No words.

msladyDeborah said...

I have never watched this film. And after looking at the trailer-my decision to do so was right. I like comedy but this didn't move me from the beginning.

Max Reddick said...

Okay, I admit this one was semi funny. I did laugh until I became light headed when I realized she was driving around in an MG Midget.

Sergio said...

O.K. I'm like dumbfounded. Completely speechless. Norbit, to be, is one of the WORST comedies I've ever seen. When I saw NO ONE PERSON laughed or even giggled throughout the film.

Yet, how come people put down Bowfinger which Murphy made with Steve martin and really really funny movie and one of the accurate depictions of low budget, independent filmmaking I've even seen captured in a movie. I swear I've experienced the same exact situations as detailed in that film.

David Garrett said...

I'd like to read an article about what happened to Eddie Murphy. Didn't see "Norbit," but I rented "Meet Dave," and didn't think it was as bad as the reviewers said. Maybe it's that old Hollywood story--nobody willing to tell Eddie no.

Marvalus said...

Oh, IW...::hangs head::

I saw this mess in the theatre when it came out, because my girlfriend had free passes.

I left in the middle...

Me said...

I didn't think it was that bad either. I guess it was because my expectations were already so low. And yes, the car scene had me cracking up. Don't be ashamed, we're all entitled to enjoy a bad movie every once in a while!

Nicole said...

Marlaon Wayans was hilarious as that excercise instructor. When he said her butt looked like a "harvest moon', I lost it. He called her the "great pumpkin" when she was rockin that orange jumpsuit too...lawd!

md20737 said...

OMG I love Norbit. I realize how stereotypical and ignorant it is. But that doesnt negate the fact that is hilarious.

My favorite part is when Rasputia goes down the slide. I love it. Thats my dirty little secret. I told my boyfriend to get it for me for xmas when it came out.

Ehav Ever said...

I recently did a video I have put up on YouTube concerning an issue that I would love to get feedback on. The video is called Defending the Honor of Black Women it can be found here. The video, along with other videos will posted on my blog as a part of my A Month of Positive Solutions campaign.

TechKappen said...

And you have yet to see The Hurt Locker...

Lenoxave said...

Damn! and you came down on Issa like the clap. You wrong IW. Wrong for dis right here... lol

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there,

Eddie Murphy really doesn't write comedy well...and he doesn't act well either (ummmm, Boomerang proved THAT!) and I think that Eddie is just out there making money since he has a multi-movie deal. He doesn't seem to care if he's producing excellent comedy.

How...a reality show with Eddie and Johnnie Gill called "The Newlyweds" would resurrect BOTH of their careers!!

*smiles*

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

I'd like to positive, but that's gross !

http://www.watchfree.org

Ashe Hunt said...

You know, I heard all the bad hype so I didn't see it in theaters. I caught it on dvd from someone and was actually surprised that there was a real story line that was actually carried out rather well. Yeah, Rasputia was way over the top but that was the point. I like Eddie, he really hasn't steered me wrong yet. Norbit really wasn't that bad.

Ashe Hunt said...

Also, Pluto Nash was a good film. But I guess you have to be a sci-fi fan to get why. I blogged about it: http://dragunzden.blogspot.com/2008/11/pluto-nash_8404.html

dusttracks said...

I loved this movie. I laughed out loud several times while watching it. Love Eddie Murphy!